Roots of energy medicine have a vibrant history that can be traced back to Eastern traditions practiced for thousands of years, groundbreaking discoveries in biology and physics, esoteric Western and Indigenous traditions, and early psychological theories developed by Freud and Reich. Norman Shealy, M.D., the founding president of the American Holistic Medical Association, suggests that “energy medicine is the future of medicine”, which highlights the importance for practitioners to be knowledgeable about this up and coming cutting edge field. Moreover, energy medicine is gaining widespread acceptance amongst a growing body of mainstream primary care practitioners; the NIH now includes energy medicine among the main areas of the field of complementary and alternative medicine. This online CE course provides an overview of several modalities within energy medicine, while highlighting a newly emerging sub-field called energy psychology which shows promising results for the future of psychology. The methods used are just as exhaustive as its vibrant history, so this course will highlight a few key modalities, with a focus on Bioenergetics, Reiki, Aikido, Thought Field Therapy, Emotional Freedom Technique, and Tapas Acupuncture Technique. Evidence-based research, theories, and suggested mind-body pathways to healing will be explored.
**Psychologists, please note that the APA NOW RECOGNIZES Energy Psychology or Energy Medicine as acceptable topics for CE credits.
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Energy Medicine: What’s the Current Climate?
- Defining the Field of Energy Medicine
- The Third Enlightenment - East Meets West
- Brief Overview of Energy Medicine Modalities
- Energy Psychology: An “Old” Emerging Subfield
- Energy Psychology as an Evidence-Based Treatment Modality
- Current Status of Energy Medicine and Future Implications
- Web-based Resources
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Define the basic assumptions guiding the field of energy medicine, which makes it a distinct field from other Complementary and Alternative Medicine modalities.
- Identify at least five different modalities/methods used in the field of energy medicine.
- Describe three energy psychology modalities and how these are different from other energy medicine modalities.
- Critically evaluate the research, pro and con, for various modalities ranging from Light Therapy, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, Bioenergetics, Reiki, Aikido, Acupuncture, Zero Balancing, Therapeutic Touch, and various energy psychology modalities.