Mental health professionals and allied healthcare workers are often focused on alleviating a patient's presenting symptoms without the benefit of true coordination of care among a team of health professionals. As such, there are times when hidden, yet central, medical illnesses and medication side effects which mimic psychological disorders can go undetected and untreated. To facilitate a more informed diagnostic process and targeted intervention this course will discuss medical illnesses and their associated medication side effects that can "masquerade" as psychological disorders within several relevant disease models such as endocrine disorders, cancer, pulmonary ailments, cerebral/neurologic dysfunction, cardiovascular disorders, sleep disorders, immune system conditions, metabolic disorders, hematologic disorders, vitamin/mineral disorders, and infections. Participants will gain greater insight into these disorders and some of the distinct characteristics which may provide clues to an underlying medical illness and/or to side effects of associated medications, expected or unusual, that may present in your practice as a perceived psychological disorder.
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 6 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForumOnline, LLC, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0355
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Overview: The Dilemma of Diagnosis
- Understanding Prevalence
- Improving Diagnostic Assessment: It’s a Two-Way Street
- Psychological/Psychiatric Assessment Tools
- Medical Illness and Psychiatric Symptoms
- Autoimmune Disorders: Multiple Sclerosis and Lupus
- Organic/Neurological Disorders
- Endocrine Disorders
- Exposure to Infection and Virus
- Sleep Disturbances
- Genetic Disorders: Huntington’s Disease & Wilson’s Disease
- Toxic Exposure
- Dietary Differences: Cultural and Individual
- Special Considerations in Pediatric Patients
- The Geriatric Patient: Be Prepared
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Articulate the clinical relevance and prevalence of “masked” medical disorders among patients with psychiatric disorders.
- List over 20 medical disorders which commonly present with psychological symptoms and may confound diagnosis.
- Identify and clinically address Goldberg’s 4 “mistake categories” with regard to mental health diagnosis.
- Recognize 9 evidence-based measures that assess common areas of psychiatric disorders including depression, anxiety, and psychosis.
- Distinguish issues that may be unique to 2 important populations, such as pediatric (e.g., PANDAs) and geriatric patients (e.g., delirium).