In the last decade, disease management (DM) programs have proliferated throughout our healthcare system. These programs most commonly target chronic conditions that include chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), congestive heart failure (CHF), coronary artery disease (CAD), and diabetes. Among other broader scope responsibilities, DM care managers are expected to help the patient increase their knowledge and acceptance of the condition, improve treatment adherence and embrace a healthy lifestyle (i.e., smoking cessation, weight loss, healthy diet, exercise, stress management, sleep hygiene), increase self-efficacy and motivation in managing the condition, and establish consistent self-regulation. Achievement of these goals is the backbone of a DM program’s return on investment, as a program is only as successful as its members’ improvements in these areas. While these programs show great promise, care managers can find themselves ill-equipped to achieve these goals with their patients, thereby negatively impacting outcomes. This course is designed to address this need and reviews the most effective methods for behavior change. Stages of Change, Motivational Interviewing, Social Cognitive Theory, and cognitive-behavioral techniques are discussed with an emphasis on application to chronic disease. Care managers are left with a repertoire of assessment and intervention strategies to promote change and optimize outcomes.
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 3 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForumOnline, LLC, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0355
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Why is Disease Management Relevant?
- Defining Disease Management
- Psychological Models & Theories of Behavior Change
- Blending Theories into Practice
- Clinical Applications of DM
- Additional Considerations & Summary
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Differentiate among three psychosocial theories/models for behavior change.
- Evaluate three predictors for effective change: readiness, self-efficacy, and motivation.
- Implement five techniques that increase readiness and motivation to change, improve self-efficacy and regulation in managing a chronic condition, and improve adherence to treatment regimens.