Throughout a long history, hypnosis has been viewed in contrasting ways, having been idealized as a miraculous cure, rejected as fraudulent, and seen as many things between these extremes. Consistently controversial, hypnosis has intrigued, been studied by and/or utilized by renowned scholars. Today, thanks to a growing body of research, hypnosis has finally been acknowledged as an evidenced-based therapeutic technique for a variety of conditions. Most healthcare providers lack formal training in hypnosis, but perhaps more importantly, many lack a minimal understanding of its applications and efficacy in patient care. This course provides a very basic introduction to hypnosis to enable healthcare professionals to expand their knowledge base of techniques helpful to patients and include hypnosis as a treatment planning option with confidence.
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- HealthForumOnline, LLC, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0355
- Social Workers in other states and allied health professionals should consult their state licensing board to see which of these approval bodies are accepted toward licensure renewal in their state. Click here for more information and direct links to state boards.
- Brief History of Hypnosis
- What is Hypnosis? Definitions and Myths
- Basic Hypnotic Procedures: Suggestions and Inductions
- The General Stages of a Hypnosis Session
- Underlying Theoretical Mechanisms: How Does Hypnosis Work?
- The Application of Hypnosis in the Healthcare Context
- Hypnosis as Evidenced-Based Treatment: Relevant Disease Models
- Contraindications for Hypnotherapy: Patient-based and Clinician-based
- Web-Based Resources
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Articulate three myths about hypnosis along with the facts that dispel them.
- Identify three healthcare problems or problem areas for which hypnosis is considered an evidence-based treatment, as well as three contraindications for hypnosis.
- Specify two key concepts in definitions of clinical hypnosis.
- Describe two basic hypnotic techniques; suggestion and induction.
Course Price: $75.00