The study of psychoneuroimmunology (PNI), sometimes described as “mind-body medicine”, is becoming increasingly popular with numerous institutions in the U.S. specializing in this research. Yet, exactly what is psychoneuroimmunology? How can we translate its empirical findings into work that is relevant to healthcare providers? This course explores the science of PNI with an overview of current studies that elucidate the bidirectional relationship among the nervous system, endocrine system, and immune system; reviews current clinical applications for PNI; and considers the implications for PNI within the practice of behavioral medicine.
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 4 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Evidence of the Link Between Physical and Psychological Health
- A Brief Look at the Nervous, Endocrine, and Immune Systems
- Interaction Among the Three Systems
- Implications for PNI in Behavioral Healthcare: Achieving a Broader Perspective
- Interventions: Therapy and Medication
- Further Considerations for PNI
- Web-based Resources for Psychoneuroimmunology
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Identify at least three examples of co-morbidity between physical and psychological health.
- Name at least two ways in which the nervous, endocrine, and immune systems interact.
- Cite two examples of the physiologic effects of psychosocial stress.
- Describe, in detail, a behavioral health intervention that affects physiologic function of the neuro-endocrine-immune system.