As promising HIV-related regimens, such as Antiretroviral Therapy (ART), are developed, health professionals must adapt to shifting demands in patient care in order to promote adherence to these new protocols. This is particularly important in the ART arena since one important factor in the treatment decision equation is how adherent the patient is likely to be with this regimen. This course reviews the difficulties in assessing adherence and the current methods used to measure it. Further, the common facilitators and barriers to adherence to ART are identified. Lastly, behavioral interventions to support adherence to ART are presented.
Continuing education for this onine course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 4 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForumOnline, LLC, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0355
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Why Is Adherence the Achilles Heel of ART?
- What Do We Mean By Adherence?
- What is the Best Way to Measure Adherence to ART?
- What Are The Barriers to Adherence?
- How Can Adherence to ART be Facilitated?
- Web-based Resources
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Identify seven difficulties in empirically defining and measuring adherence in behavioral research in this domain.
- Describe seven methods of measuring adherence to antiretroviral therapy (ART).
- Recognize three common barriers (medical and psychological) to adherence to ART.
- Summarize five evidence-based intervention strategies to support adherence to ART.