As science and medical technology advances, it is becoming increasingly apparent that the field of bioethics, only a few decades ago in the esoteric domain of philosophers, now affects each and every person, their life’s trajectory, and for health professionals, their career. This course provides an introduction to the foundations of the field of bioethics and their implications for healthcare practice. Ethical theory, pivotal court cases related to medical ethics and key theorists are discussed in the context of healthcare justice, patient rights, informed consent, advance directives, and refusal of treatment. An ethical decision-making model, as well as other valuable resources, are presented to facilitate the healthcare professional's ability to respectfully and responsibly navigate bioethical dilemmas in clinical practice.
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 4 Ethics continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForumOnline, LLC, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0355
- Underlying Theories of Ethics
- Moral Rules for Professional Relationships: Veracity, Fidelity and Privacy
- A Model for Ethical Decision-making
- Web-based Resources
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Define the four governing bioethical principles that affect contemporary healthcare practice.
- Discuss five key court cases that helped define the landscape of bioethics debate.
- Identify a 6-step decision model that may facilitate solving ethical dilemmas in practice.