Within the next several decades, people older than age 65 will outnumber children for the first time in recorded history. Accordingly, practitioners will need to have a fundamental understanding of the biological, psychological, and social theories of aging. Research on healthy aging suggests that it involves multiple dimensions that extend beyond longevity, spanning physical and emotional health, cognitive functioning, and social and productive engagement. Importantly, chronic disease and disability do not necessarily exclude older people from healthy aging. Familiarity with evidence-based interventions that address modifiable factors in aging, in order to lengthen the “healthspan” of aging persons, will be vital for healthcare providers.This course reviews the definition, determinants, and mechanisms of healthy aging. Current theories of healthy aging are discussed, along with the biological, psychological, and social processes involved in maintaining a high degree of functioning and well-being in later life. Finally, evidence-based interventions to promote healthy behaviors in older people are described, as well as how these interventions have been adapted for institutional care settings.
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 3 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForumOnline, LLC, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0355
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Central Principles of Geriatrics
- Theories of Aging and Healthy Aging
- Biopsychosocial Determinants of Healthy Aging
- Interventions to Enhance Healthy Aging
- Healthy Aging in Institutional Settings/Medically Frail Elders
- Clinical Summary
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Cite 2 seminal works in the research on aging and summarize contemporary theories of the biological, psychological, and social determinants of healthy aging.
- Identify 5 central principles of gerontology and their relationship to the emerging science investigating the mechanisms of healthy aging.
- Implement at least 3 evidence-based interventions to promote healthy aging across the physical, emotional, and cognitive domains within an individual therapeutic or institutional setting.