The prevalence of chronic pain in the United States is estimated at 35.5% according to results of a recent health interview summary. Interestingly, many chronic intractable, benign pain and chronic recurrent pain syndromes may not respond to traditional medical and medication management approaches. When this occurs, productivity and emotional well-being can be negatively impacted for both pain patients and caregivers. Mental health professionals and allied healthcare workers can play a key role in the treatment of chronic pain syndromes, both exclusively and as a resource for/adjunct to physicians.
This course provides theory-and evidence-based psychological components adaptable to clinical practice for this patient population. The pathophysiology of pain is identified and a detailed presentation of the psychological features of chronic pain syndromes is provided. Nonpharmacological treatment alternatives that address the whole person and that utilize mental health strategies are discussed.
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 5 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForumOnline, LLC, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0355
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Definitions: Acute Versus Chronic, Benign Pain
- A Brief Biological and Theoretical Overview of Pain
- The Expression of Pain
- Assessing Chronic Pain
- The Psychosocial Correlates of Pain
- Mental Health Interventions Used to Treat Benign, Chronic Pain
- Alternative and Energy Related Therapies
- Common Chronic, Benign & Recurrent Pain Syndromes
- Web-based Resources
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Discuss 2 underlying mechanisms and biological pathways associated with pain and 5 prominent pain theories.
- Recognize the biopsychosocial presentation of 3 types of pain, namely chronic, benign and recurrent pain.
- Discuss at least 4 relevant psychological challenges related to chronic pain.
- Identify at least 5 assessment tools and apply at least 4 mental health approaches and interventions to enhance adjustment and adaptation among chronic pain patients.