Neuropsychology is a burgeoning field that has grown both in size and scope of practice. Clinical neuropsychology services can include diagnostic clarification of brain injury and illness for physicians, determining the appropriate course of cognitive rehabilitation following injury, or determining an individual’s competency to consent to treatment or make legal decisions. Given the rapid expansion of neuropsychology it is important to remain aware of and sensitive to our ethical responsibilities and how these are applicable to the various situations one encounters in this growing field.
This course reviews ethical standards of particular relevance to neuropsychologists, including competence to work with a specific condition, issues of informed consent and patient feedback, and patient privacy and confidentiality. Special issues that neuropsychologists will likely encounter is also explored, including malingering, forensic assessment competency, and training of students in neuropsychology. Lastly, a discussion of how to integrate this information and engage in ethical decision making is provided.
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 4 Ethics continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForumOnline, LLC, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0355
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Justification for an Ethics Code
- Structure of the Ethics Code
- Ethical Standards
- Standards Particularly Relevant to Neuropsychology
- Special Issues
- Ethical Decision-Making
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Discuss and clinically apply the ethics code pertaining to the practice of neuropsychology.
- Summarize current laws relevant to the practice of neuropsychology.
- Recognize at least three prominent ethical issues and requirements related to assessment in this arena (e.g., adequate knowledge of neuropsychology, privacy and confidentiality components of neuropsychological assessment, including the release of reports and raw test data.)
- Identify three special areas in neuropsychological assessment such as malingering, competency, and issues related to ethical decision-making.