More than 50 million Americans are now caregivers, defined as someone who provides unpaid services to an adult or child who cannot provide for themselves. The emotional and physical issues that may develop from long-term care giving are not well understood and are frequently neglected by caregivers and health care providers alike, resulting in diminished health and quality-of-life for the care giver, as well as for those they care for. This online CE course discusses the various types of caregivers, associated responsibilities and the potential deleterious effects of caregiver stress and burnout on both patient and caregiver. Health care professionals can play a critical role in identifying and ameliorating caregiver distress by creating an environment that supports emotional expression, facilitates practical support and promotes resilience. How to create this responsive clinical environment for caregivers is explored. In addition, the course presents various assessment tools and theory- and evidenced-based clinical interventions that can be applied in caring for our caregivers, including the use of community resources.
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForumOnline, LLC, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0355
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Types of Caregivers
- Caregiver Responsibilities, Stressors and Burdens
- Assessment of Caregivers
- Interventions to Reduce Caregiver Burden
- Clinical Considerations for Treatment Planning
- Alternative/Adjunct Creative Self-Care
- Web-Based Resources
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Identify 6 distinct types of caregivers along with their specific roles and responsibilities.
- Define caregiver burden and recognize 5 common factors that influence adjustment for the caregiver, as well as the identified patient.
- Recognize 12 important domains to guide the assessment of caregiver distress/burden and access a resource inventory containing evidence-based measures for use in the caregiver context.
- Clinically apply 4 evidence-based interventions to assist in relieving caregiver stress.