Over the past 30 years, multiple evidence-based psychosocial and pharmacological treatments have been developed for the treatment of Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Several national and international treatment guidelines have also been created to assist health providers and clients with the selection and utilization of the best evidence-based treatments for PTSD. This online CE course will present an overview of the three-phase model of trauma recovery and PTSD treatment. Treatment options for various reactions to trauma including acute stress reactions, acute stress disorder, and acute and chronic PTSD will be discussed and an in-depth review of the most widely used evidence-based psychosocial treatment models for veterans and other adult survivors with PTSD is presented (e.g., Cognitive Processing Therapy, Prolonged Exposure Therapy, Stress Inoculation Training, and Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). Pharmacological and alternative/complementary treatment options for PTSD will also be addressed, along with common clinical issues associated with the treatment, such as vicarious traumatization and self-care issues among treatment providers.
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 3 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForumOnline, LLC, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0355
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- The Three-Stage Model of Trauma Recovery: The Theory Guiding the Interventions
- Treatment Guidelines to Assist Clinicians
- Early Interventions for Acute Stress Reactions and Acute Stress Disorder
- Evidence-Based Psychological Treatments for Trauma and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: The Longer View
- Barriers to Psychological Treatment and Sociocultural Considerations
- Pharmacotherapy for PTSD
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Approaches for PTSD
- Common Clinical Issues in the Treatment of Traumatized Clients
- Summary and Clinical Considerations
- Web-based Resources
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Discuss the Three-stage Model of Trauma Recovery and its relevance to PTSD treatment.
- Differentiate treatment options for Acute Stress Reactions, Acute Stress Disorder, and PTSD among adults.
- Identify the 4 most widely used evidence-based psychological treatment options available to treat PTSD including, Prolonged Exposure Therapy; Cognitive Processing Therapy; Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR); and Stress Inoculation Treatment – as well as available pharmacological and alternative/complementary treatment options.
- Clinically predict and address 2 key treatment-related issues that arise when working in this domain to overcome impediments in forming a therapeutic alliance and ensure management of one’s own trauma-related counteractivations, as well as promote self-care.