This online course provides an overview of Employee Assistance Program (EAP) work including EAP Core Technology, types of referrals, the assessment, short-term counseling process, and confidentiality issues. EAP work is different from traditional therapy and an EAP clinician must be prepared to address workplace impact during their assessment & counseling sessions. This online CE course explores how to balance the competing demands of the employee client in the counseling office and the organizational client that is funding the EAP. Numerous case examples demonstrate how to successfully navigate special topics and relationships associated with EAP work (e.g., formal management referral & drug free workplace referrals). Since EAP is a work-based benefit, there are many concerns about confidentiality. A review of applicable laws and discussion about confidentiality will prepare clinicians to discuss the employee's concerns competently. Finally, since EAP is more than therapy, participants will review other benefits and elements of an EAP to help them build their own client’s awareness of resources.
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForumOnline, LLC, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0355
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- What is an Employee Assistance Program?
- EAP Core Technology
- Assessment, Short-Term Counseling, & Referral
- Know Your Referral Source
- Dual Clients
- Confidentiality in the EAP Context
- EAP Program Variations
- EAP Benefits Beyond Counseling
- EAP Credentials
- Web-based Resources
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Identify the 7 EAP Core Technology and the clinician’s role within the larger EA body of work
- Complete a workplace impact assessment with EAP clients
- Distinguish between at least 2 different program models and methods for clients to be referred to a clinician
- Explain the differences between EAP work and traditional private practice counseling including making referrals, managing dual clients, and confidentiality