Enhancing Adaptation to Ovarian Cancer: A Clinician’s Guide
2 CE Credits
This course reviews current psychological theory and empirical evidence relevant to applied clinical practice in the OVCA context. Course material addresses the common physical and psychological sequelae of an OVCA diagnosis and treatment (e.g., side effects of treatment, psychosexual impact, quality of life, loss issues, possible genetic factors) and presents techniques and skills to facilitate patient adjustment (e.g., enhanced communication with medical team and other support persons; practice of stress and pain management; improved utilization of support system).
Continuing education for this online course is offered through the following approvals:
- HealthForum is approved by the American Psychological Association (APA) to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. HealthForum maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- HealthForum (ACE Provider #1156) is approved as a provider for social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org, through the Approved Continuing Education (ACE) Program. HealthForum maintains responsibility for the program. ASWB Approval Period: (6/20/2017 to 6/20/2020). Social workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval for continuing education credits. Social workers participating in this course will receive 2 Clinical continuing education clock hours.
- HealthForumOnline, LLC, SW CPE is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #0355
- HealthForum has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6216. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. HealthForum is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
- Prevalence, Detection/Diagnosis, and Prognosis
- The Psychological Impact of OVCA Across the Continuum of Care
- Psychological Disorders Among OVCA Patients
- Diagnostic Considerations
- Therapeutic Themes
- Psychological Interventions for Ovarian Cancer Patients
After completing this course, health professionals will be able to:
- Present a brief overview of ovarian cancer across the disease continuum from a medical perspective, such as discuss detection issues, diagnosis (e.g., stage, tumor type, localization), available treatments along with their possible side-effects, and post-treatment survivorship and medical management.
- Identify 4 common themes among these patients: enhanced communication with medical team and primary support persons; uptake and maintenance of stress/pain management techniques; improved utilization of support system; and tailor treatment plans accordingly.
- Recognize the possible overlap between cancer treatment-related symptoms (e.g., chemotherapy-related fatigue) and at least 2 common mood disturbances in this population, depression and anxiety, to facilitate psychological diagnosis and treatment.
- Apply 4 therapeutic modalities to facilitate adaptation to ovarian cancer, including individual and group formats.